Tuesday 10 March 2015

Chicken Wing Experience

Whilst at an airport in the United States (either New York JFK, Las Vegas or Philadelphia) we sat up at the counter of a lounge bar and perused the menu.

A dentist, en route to Colorado or some such place, sat directly beside me.

I was persuaded to have the chicken wings with a sweet chili sauce dip.

Now I have never indulged in this American favourite before, so it proved to be a novel experience.

Some five or ten minutes later the meal arrived: half a dozen juicy, meaty pieces of chicken on-the-bone, with the sauce in a ramekin, and a garnish of small celery sticks.

The waitress had provided me with a napkin and cutlery, which I proceeded to use.

At this point, the Dentist remarked that it was customary to consume chicken wings with the fingers; to "get stuck in".

He even recounted a pal of his who devoured entire wings in his mouth, somehow separating the flesh from the bones.

I refrained from that, though it was indeed truly delicious.

I had no notion that there would be so much meat on a chicken wing.

Despite his remark about my size (lean) he might have been surprised to see that I'd eaten almost the whole plateful; though he noticed that I'd left a little meat on the bones!

No comments :