Wednesday 27 August 2014

Schoolhouse Barbecue


We are having a late summer barbecue today in the gardens of the old schoolhouse.

Volunteers and staff of the National Trust Strangford Lough group have been invited.

We are meeting at the old Schoolhouse on Mount Stewart estate, County Down.

The former estate schoolhouse is located at Portaferry Road on the Ards Peninsula.

Half of it is now used as an office and tool-store; the other, as accommodation.

I made some fresh coleslaw as my modest contribution towards the occasion (white cabbage, onion, carrot, a little mustard, pinch of caster sugar, seasoning).


There is an interesting stone plaque at the front entrance, which proclaims 
This School was Founded ..... 1813 by the Viscountess Castlereagh. The Governors of Erasmus Smith Schools. 


Two years ago (in June, 2012) I was presented with a special badge and certificate for twenty-five years' voluntary service with the National Trust.

This thrills me and I do appreciate this kind gesture from a charitable establishment which is dear to me.

2 comments :

Anonymous said...

Well done Timbo! VC

Timothy Belmont said...

Many thanks, VC. Feeling my age. What a vintage!