Tuesday 24 June 2014

Royalty at St George's


I grabbed the trusty two-wheeler after coffee this morning, mounted, and cycled through Belfast's Titanic Quarter, en route for the venerable St George's Market.

Security was tight on the way: There were literally hundreds of police cones or bollards at the road-side.

I parked just off Oxford Street and walked across the street, past the Law Courts, towards Victoria Street.

The police had a strict route for pedestrians, along May Street and into the Market.

There was airport-style security at the entrance and I had to take off my watch, coins, belt etc.

The atmosphere was jubilant and expectant.


I enjoyed a fine beaker of coffee from the long-established coffee and tea merchant in east Belfast, S D Bell's.


The Royal Party arrived at the main Oxford Street entrance. The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh, accompanied by Dame Mary Peters DBE, took a left turn and I managed to obtain a few photographs.

Her Majesty was looking absolutely radiant. Prince Philip, a few yards behind, certainly did not look his age.


It was thrilling to see Her Majesty, not to mention Prince Philip, so loyal and always so supportive of the Sovereign.

*****

I took my leave and cycled to North Street, where I ambled in to a second-hand book shop, seeking more books by Robin Bryans.

I was in luck! I eventually found No Surrender: An Ulster Childhood, published using his nom-de-plume, Robert Harbinson. It cost me £3.

1 comment :

mcconfif said...

Lovely photos of Her Majesty