Thursday, 12 October 2017

1st Earl of Breadalbane

THE EARLS OF BREADALBANE WERE THE GREATEST LANDOWNERS IN ARGYLLSHIRE AND PERTHSHIRE, WITH 204,192 ACRES AND 234,166 ACRES RESPECTIVELY

This noble family claims a common ancestor with the ducal house of Argyll, namely,

SIR DUNCAN CAMPBELL (c1370-1453), of Lochawe, who was created, in 1445, Lord Campbell, of Lochawe, by JAMES II of Scotland.

His lordship wedded firstly Marjorie Stewart, daughter of Robert, Duke of Albany, and granddaughter of ROBERT II, by whom he left two sons,
ARCHIBALD, ancestor of the ducal house of ARGYLL;
COLIN, of whom we treat.
The younger son,

SIR COLIN CAMPBELL, upon whom his father settled the Glen Orchy estate, built Kilchurn Castle on Lochawe in Argyll.

His son,

SIR DUNCAN CAMPBELL OF GLEN ORCHY (c1550-1631), was one of the many Scottish nobles killed at the Battle of Flodden in 1513.

Sir Duncan's great-grandson and namesake, Duncan Campbell, known as "Black Duncan", represented Argyllshire in the Scottish Parliament.

He was knighted in 1590 and created a baronet, of Glen Orchy, Perthshire, in 1625.

Sir Duncan's elder son,

SIR COLIN CAMPBELL (c1577-1640), 2nd Baronet, died childless and was succeeded by his younger brother, Sir Robert, 3rd Baronet, who represented Argyllshire in the Scottish Parliament.

He was succeeded by his son,

SIR JOHN CAMPBELL, 4th Baronet, who also represented Argyllshire in Parliament, and was succeeded by his son by his first marriage, 

SIR JOHN CAMPBELL, 5th Baronet (1635-1717), who was created, in 1681, to take precedency from 1677, EARL OF BREADALBANE AND HOLLAND, Viscount of Tay and Paintland, Lord Glenorchy, Benederloch, Ormelie, and Wick, with remainder to whichever of his sons, by Lady Mary Rich, to whom he was married, he might think proper, under his hand, to nominate; and in default of issue, to his nearest legitimate heirs whatsoever.

His lordship having passed over his eldest son, was succeeded, upon his demise in 1717, by his second son,

JOHN (1662-1752), 2nd Earl, who wedded firstly, Frances, daughter of Henry, 2nd Duke of Newcastle, by whom he had no issue; and secondly, in 1695, Henrietta, second daughter of Sir Edward Villiers, Knight, by whom he had issue, two daughters and his successor,

JOHN (1692-1782), 3rd Earl, who came to the title in 1752; though dying without male issue, his sons having all died before him, the male line of the 1st Earl became extinct; but the clause in the patent, in favour of heirs male, transferred the peerage to

JOHN (1762-1834), 4th Earl, great-grandson of the 1st Earl's uncle, Colin Campbell of Mochaster, who, in 1831, was advanced to the dignities of  MARQUESS OF BREADALBANE and Earl of Ormelie.

The 1st Marquess was succeeded by his only son,

JOHN (1796-1862), 2nd Marquess.

His lordship was childless and the barony of Breadalbane, earldom of Ormelie and marquessate became extinct on his death in 1862.

He was succeeded in the Scottish titles by his kinsman,

JOHN (1824-71), 6th Earl. 
Earls of Breadalbane and Holland (1681; Reverted)
  • John, 6th Earl of Breadalbane and Holland (1824-71)
  • Gavin,7th Earl (1851–1922) (created Marquess of Breadalbane in 1885)

Marquesses of Breadalbane; 2nd creation (1885)

Earls of Breadalbane and Holland (1681; Reverted)

  • Iain Edward Herbert, 8th Earl (1885–1923)
  • Charles William, 9th Earl (1889–1959)
  • John Romer Boreland, 10th Earl (1919–95)

TAYMOUTH CASTLE, Perthshire, is situated just north-east of the village of Kenmore, Perth and Kinross, in the Highlands of Scotland.

It stands on the site of the much older Balloch Castle (built in 1550), which was demolished to be rebuilt on a much larger scale in the early 19th century by the Campbells of Breadalbane.

Built in the neo-Gothic style on a lavish scale, no expense was spared on the castle's interior, which was decorated with extravagant sumptuousness incorporating carvings, plasterwork and murals.

Panels of medieval stained glass and Renaissance woodwork were incorporated into the scheme. Much of this decor survives, though the castle has lost most of its original rich furnishings.

It has been empty since 1979, although plans have been put forward for its redevelopment as a luxury hotel.
The 4th Earl of Breadalbane called upon Robert Mylne to prepare plans for a new "chateau" in 1789, though they were not carried out. Ten years later, the main block of the old house was demolished, to be replaced from 1806 by a Gothic building to the designs of the brothers James and Archibald Elliot. The English-Italian Francis Bernasconi carried out the ornate plasterwork of the staircase and drawing rooms between 1809 and 1812.
In 1818, the old east wing was pulled down and replaced by a two-storey wing designed by William Atkinson.

The 4th Earl, created Marquess of Breadalbane in 1831, was succeeded by the 2nd Marquess in 1834.

He completed the improvements from 1838, by the remodelling of William Adam's west wing, which was enlarged and refaced to match the main block.

This time the architect was James Gillespie Graham, with interiors designed by A. W. N. Pugin.

The ceilings of the west wing are described by Historic Scotland as the "finest of their period in UK".

The works were complete by 1842, in time for the first visit to Scotland of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert, when they stayed at Taymouth for three days.

On the death of the 2nd Marquess, Taymouth passed to a distant cousin, along with the Earldom of Breadalbane.

The Marquessate was re-created for his son Gavin Campbell in 1885.

The family estates were much reduced during his tenure, and on his death in 1922 Taymouth Castle was sold.

It was converted into a hotel, opening in 1929, with an 18-hole golf course designed by James Braid in the grounds.

It was used as a hospital for Polish troops during the 2nd World War, and between 1950 and 1968 it housed the Civil Defence Corps training school for Scotland.

Taymouth was subsequently used by a boarding school for American children.

This closed in 1979 and the building has since lain empty, though the golf course has continued to be operated separately.

In 2004, it was reported that plans to redevelop the castle as a "six-star" hotel had been approved by Perth and Kinross Council.

By May, 2006, the building was weathertight, but work stopped in late 2006 and in April 2009 the company restoring Taymouth Castle was declared insolvent.

Following the purchase of the estate by Meteor Asset Management, work re-commenced late in 2010 and, despite financial problems, the restoration continued during 2012.

First published in November, 2013.   Breadalbane arms courtesy of European Heraldry.

No comments :