Sunday 24 February 2013

Fuerteventura: XI

Yesterday proved to be an eventful day for Timothy Belmont. I decided to take the bus to El Cotillo, a fishing village round the coast from Corralejo.

I have a plastic bus card for this service, so I duly boarded at Corralejo for the ten o'clock service.

It's not possible, in my experience, to know exactly what the balance is on the island's bus cards, since there is no paper ticket issued.

I arrived at El Cotillo at about ten-forty and walked in a northerly direction towards the lovely little beach, where there is a beach-bar called La Concha.

As I unpacked my towel, pillow and sun-cream from the bag, it suddenly dawned on me that I'd forgotten to bring my little wallet, which contained my cash, key, EU health card and other bits & pieces.

This made me wonder ~ and hope ~ that I had an adequate balance on the bus-card to get me home.


IT SUBSEQUENTLY became very windy, so I packed up and left the beach in order to get the three o'clock bus back.

When I placed the card on the reader beside the driver, he pressed a few buttons and exclaimed " One euro". I had dreaded this moment. I tried to explain that I had no money, to no avail. The driver was adamant.

He got off the bus for a smoke, where I asked him what direction to take in order to walk back: "Walk? You go by the beach; it is fifteen kilometres".

I desperately asked a few passengers if they had a euro, a waste of time and effort.

I proceeded to walk, wearing my flip-flops, as best I could along the rugged coast. I trekked for miles, one hour and forty minutes. There was a rough track, no tarmacked road.

Eventually, a car approached me and a middle-aged couple slowed to speak. They were my saviours. I told them my story. It transpired that they were from Norway, staying very near me in Corralejo, close to the harbour.

"What a coincidence!" I exclaimed.

The distance back was certainly further than I'd imagined, and I intimated that I was very glad and grateful for their lift back.

The first thing I did, when I retrieved my money from my room, was to buy a box of chocolates (Cadbury, of course, given my nationality) for them. I immediately conveyed the choccies to their apartment and, again, expressed my appreciation.

So there you have it, dear readers: Never forget your wallet or purse. Or else.

6 comments :

Mark Rivers said...

If only his lordship had brought his butler with him on holiday these frightfully mundanes issues around personal administration could have been averted.

Nonetheless we are cheered to hear of your safe return and at very least you should get a mention in dispatches for courage and initiative in enemy territory.

Well done - stiff drink in the mess afterwards - no doubt.

Timothy Belmont said...

Parker was, most regrettably, on vacation at Torquay, shrimping as usual (!).

Timothy Belmont bears no personal malice whatsoever against the bus-driver; only great gratitude towards the kindly couple who stopped and conveyed me safely to Corralejo.

Anonymous said...

"..buy a box of chocolates (Cadbury, of course, given my nationality)"

Didn't know you were now an American! [Cadbury is now wholly owned by Kraft Foods of Illinois]

J

Timothy Belmont said...

J, Good point! I think many British companies are now owned by foreign businesses.

Rolls-Royce, Jaguar, Gawd-knows how many others... and Cadbury. Even Harrod's.

Despite this unfortunate fact, I think Cadbury is still considered British.

Are Milk Tray choccies widely available in the US?

Timothy Belmont said...

J, Good point! I think many British companies are now owned by foreign businesses.

Rolls-Royce, Jaguar, Gawd-knows how many others... and Cadbury. Even Harrod's.

Despite this unfortunate fact, I think Cadbury is still considered British.

Are Milk Tray choccies widely available in the US?

Timothy Belmont said...

J, Good point! I think many British companies are now owned by foreign businesses.

Rolls-Royce, Jaguar, Gawd-knows how many others... and Cadbury. Even Harrod's.

Despite this unfortunate fact, I think Cadbury is still considered British.

Are Milk Tray choccies widely available in the US?