Thursday 9 June 2011

At Belgrave Square

Having taken the Tube from Northwick Park into central London this morning, I proceeded to revisit several of the old haunts, viz. St James's, Belgravia etc.

I photographed Wilton's menu. Click on images to enlarge them.


I see that Trumper's have a branch beside Turnbull & Asser, up a little side street. I walked through the Green Park, towards the Palace, where a band of the Irish Guards was playing; thence past the Royal Mews - where I inquired about an official souvenir programme for the Royal Wedding (out of stock).


I discovered the splendid little Goring Hotel nearby, so ambled into the lounge-bar - most civilised - where I partook of a Tanqueray snifter. I do like the lounge here, just like a demi-grand country house. Dear readers, one Tanqueray - 25ml - and tonic-water costs the princely sum of £11.81, including 12.5% service.


Thence I asked for the gentelmen's cloakrom: "past the Queen Mother and hard right!". A bronze of Her late Majesty, that is.


I walked out on on to Belgrave Square, where I admired Downshire House, very grand erstwhile residence of the Marquesses of Downshire; and latterly the Viscount Pirrie; and now the Spanish Embassy. I am told that the good Lord Ballyedmond has a modest pad here, though I cannot recall the number.


BP commended a charming little bar called the Star Tavern, at Belgrave Mews West, so I eventually found it and sampled a Bombay Sapphire and tonic on this occasion. This establishment is renowned in the metropolis for its hanging baskets.


I was imbibing on Grosvenor Estate property, all owned by His Grace the Duke of Westminster, Ulsterman born at Omagh, County Tyrone.

And so I made for the Victoria tube and back to Northwick Park on the "Met Line".

4 comments :

Cally_222 said...

Ballyedmond is at No 9 Belgrave Sq, I'm sure he has the Tanqueray ready and waiting for you.
There's an article here about the house:
http://tinyurl.com/43wc3hn

Timothy Belmont said...

I wrote him a personal letter, to his residence at Ballyedmond Castle. I didn't receive an acknowledgment.

DurMan said...

Great post!
May I please ask your permission to use your picture of Downshire House in my research work? With due credit to the photographer of course.

Best regards,
Eugene.

DurMan said...

Thank you very much, dear Timothy!
Highly appreciated!

Best regards and thank you once again!
Eugene.