Friday 23 April 2010

Gorse Fire

I see that there has been another gorse fire today on Slieve Donard, Ulster's highest peak. I know, through personal experience, that gorse does not catch fire easily. Even with a mere box of matches and newspaper, it can take ages. I know, because we have done it under controlled conditions at National Trust properties. We cut off the unwanted gorse bushes and throw them on a bonfire, always checking the wind direction.

However, when gorse does start burning, the ensuing blaze can be ferocious.

These fires must be started deliberately, by children or like-minded imbeciles who ought to be thrown into a dungeon somewhere with dripping walls and stone floors.

6 comments :

Owen Polley said...

I created some shock over tea the other night by advocating a set of gallows on the top of Cavehill.

Anonymous said...

When I was a boy I once took it upon myself to smoke out rabbits. What I actually did was set fire to a not inconsiderable amount of hedgerow - it really caused quite a lot of trouble! But that was on our own land, so it's a bit different to setting someone else's property alight.

W.

kim too said...

No gallows,on the way home from the Reform club last night 11.30ish, the Cavehill was burning brightly in the night, the fire looked to cover quite a distance.

Bring back hanging......

Timothy Belmont said...

Going to the Reform club's white die dinner this year, Kim?

I have full evening dress - the works - in my wardrobe. A friend of my father's gave it to me. Tailcoat, trousers, white waistcoat, dress shirt, studs, white bow-tie, top hat...

kim too said...

You lucky old thing you....Post photo PLEASE PLEASE.. My son would just love full white tie attire complete with cane and gloves? lol.... Something to look forward to when he stops growing.

He got to wear his new Harris Tweed Sheriffmuir Jacket(18th Birthday pressie) at the dinner last night, a bit of a treat ah.

Regards Kim

Timothy Belmont said...

I am in a position to grant your wish!

A photo forthwith. Have a look at the latest photo on my profile! :-)