Wednesday 30 December 2009

Miss Enid Blyton


I watched rather a good drama about the life of the famous children's author, Enid Blyton, last night. It was on BBC4 at 9pm, though I have a feeling that it was shown on another channel prior to that.

I think many of these biographical dramas need to be taken with a little pinch of salt; though I enjoyed Helena Bonham Carter playing the title role.

I imagine that Enid Blyton must have been the J K Rowling of her day; for she lived in some style in a large country house with plenty of staff, including a poor chauffeur who was threatened with dismissal if he didn't get rid of his cold! Whether this little episode was made up for the viewers' benefit, or whether there was anecdotal evidence of its veracity, I am unable to confirm.

Enid Blyton was a bit of a paradox. She seemingly invited children - her young fans - to parties at her country home, an act she obviously relished; yet her own little daughters were banished to the nursery. Moreover, she didn't seem to love them and came across as an unkind mother.

As I say, I enjoyed it. I loved her books, particularly the Famous Five series; and I had them all.

No comments :