Wednesday 18 March 2009

Valuable Experiment

I watched a programme last week called, I think, Tonight; and it was about an experiment carried out by the Money Saving expert, Martin Lewis.

He conducted a test, whereby one or two families bought supermarket "value" own-brand products instead of their usual proprietary brands. The results were surprising.

The family members were, naturally, not informed that they were eating value groceries. By and large, they didn't notice any difference, in most cases!

I have tried a little experiment myself, this morning. I bought Value Butter, 84p; Value Sparkling Water, 12p; Value mini Pizza, 46p; and the Value toilet roll which, at £1.17 for four is fine and does the job quite sufficiently, as we buy it all the time!

The Value Baked Beans are great value. The juice can be poured off, extra purée, honey and Worcestershire sauce added.

There are, of course, groceries I shan't skimp on, viz. eggs, meat, bread etc.

I'll add extra ingredients to the pizza, viz. more tomato purée, onion, honey, cheese etc. and I'll report back with my conclusions!

No comments :