Tuesday 19 August 2008

A Call At The Door

I had barely changed into my dressing-gown and slippers at about ten-thirty last night and I was upstairs when the door-bell rang. At the front-door, I put on the security chain and opened it. A touch surprisingly it was the police. As soon as the constable explained the circumstances and mentioned Vee, I knew immediately.

Vee had phoned me yesterday three times; and she was utterly blotto. The Pc told me that she'd just been thrown out of where she lived, by her partner I understand, and she had mentioned me to them. Her mother is in hospital; her brother is estranged from her, mainly due to her alcoholism; no hostel in Belfast was prepared to accept Vee in her state; so, as a last resort, they darkened my door.

I felt unable to take Vee in her sozzled condition too. The policeman understood and said they'd have to put Vee up for the night at Her Majesty's Pleasure - in a cell, in other words.

Dreadful situation; perhaps I'll phone the police later.

4 comments :

Anonymous said...

it's lucky Vee has such a good friend like you, isn't it? she knows she can call on you in her hour of need.......

Timothy Belmont said...

Sadly she won't pay any heed to anyone, even me. This has been ongoing for years and she won't give up alcoholism. I certainly couldn't cope with it.She needs some sort of clinical rehabilitation.

Anonymous said...

sad that that was her hour of need and her "good friend" wasn't there to help her. if she phoned you three times she obviously needed help. alcoholism is an illness which you don't just "give up" like giving up coffee, or sugar in your tea...perhaps you could offer to go to AA meetings with her to show your support?

Timothy Belmont said...

Thank you very much indeed for your kind advice and support which shall be borne in mind.