Thursday 1 May 2008

Cycle Run Into Belfast

I'm glad I missed the heavy hail shower at four o'clock today. I cycled into Town for a lunch-time drink with an old pal I used to work with. We met, as usual, in the Mermaid Inn, which is tucked away in Wilson's Court. This old building dates from ca 1800 and has some fragments which may make it one of the earliest surviving domestic buildings in Belfast. In 1860 it was known as the Rainbow Hotel and Tavern.

I chained the bike to a lamp-post in the Court itself, and went for a walk round Belfast. I got back to the pub for twelve forty-five and ordered a g-and-t. I'd had the stuffed chicken before and enjoyed it; so ordered it again. They give you breast of chicken, back bacon, stuffing, turnip, carrot, cauliflower, broccoli and garlic potato. I think it cost six pounds fifty. Very enjoyable and unpretentious. Tim arrived shortly thereafter and had a pint of beer.

We had a good natter and arranged to meet for lunch at the Water Margin Chinese restaurant next week. I'll write a review of it and post it on my blog.

No comments :