Sunday 16 March 2008

Long Live The Queen Of Traditional British Cooking!


Whilst on our way towards Island Hill and Castle Espie this afternoon, both near Comber in County Down, I called in at Ards Shopping Centre and, at Easons book shop, noticed Delia Smith's latest publication Delia's How To Cheat At Cooking. We have Delia's original 1970s paperback "how to cheat at cooking". I've been watching her new series on the telly too.

In her new book she recommends various stores and brands for her recipes like, for instance, Marks and Spencer for canned mince beef. M&S must be most grateful to Delia, privately at least, due to the upsurge in sales; even I stopped at their food store in Ballyhackamore to stock up on tins of mince lamb and mince beef! Perhaps I'll go to Iceland for Auntie Bessy's frozen mash next. I bought a Cumberland pie for our freezer too; I'd forgotten about their policy on plastic carrier bags and ran out to the car for our own carrier bag.

We'll have chicken risotto tonight; I admit that I've been influenced by some celebrity chef and I bought a bottle of truffle oil, so some of that will be drizzled over the risotto before serving. I wonder what difference it will make...

2 comments :

Anonymous said...

We were a bit perturbed by Delia's obsession in the first episode of the new series with that frozen mash - using it for everything down to and including chocolate cake!

Timothy Belmont said...

She has a connection with some of those companies, if you check their websites; still, it's entertaining enough...