Friday 28 March 2008

Belfast Has The Monopoly


You've got to hand it to the manufacturers of the famous board-game, Monopoly. Or, at least, to Hasbro's marketing department. They know how to diversify and give consumers what they want.

The latest version of the popular board-game features the city of Belfast and even uses replica miniature NI bank-notes.

I always assumed, wrongly, that the London version has always been the original one. I 've had a look at their history and it all began in the USA.

We have a 1960s London version which is still perfectly serviceable. Call me an old-fashioned British traditionalist - I'm happy to stick with the one we have. I'll always associate the navy blue sites with Park Lane and Mayfair; and the brown ones with the poorest roads! I wonder if the Belfast version has Malone Park in navy blue? Doubtless they'll consider the sensibilities of those who feature on the brown sites. Then again, in this world of Political Correctness they may have changed their policy on colour-coded wealthy streets? If anyone has seen a Belfast version, please let me know.

No comments :