Wednesday 12 March 2008

Amsterdam Trip: Day One

I left home an hour sooner than planned yesterday, at 10.40 instead of 11.40; however there was no harm done. There were major roadworks on the M2 motorway.

I treated myself to a Burgerking Whopper with cheese, fries, a hamburger and coffee at Belfast International Airport - am I imagining things or does Burgerking charge more for their meals here? I paid over seven pounds for that. I suspect everything costs more at airports because there's not the same competition.

The flight to Amsterdam was good: we had a strong tailwind so we arrived a half-hour ahead of schedule. At my modest little inn, I ordered a Dutch witbier. They had allocated me Room One, overlooking the street. I'll review my hotel on my blog when I get home.

After breakfast today I got tram nine for the Tropical Museum, which I've never been to before. Incidentally, I chose the wrong pair of shoes for this trip: suede Oxford brogues. It has been wet and they have, regrettably, soaked up the rain like a sponge! I find most Dutch people exceptionally courteous and helpful. I spent a few hours at the museum and headed back to my inn to dry my shoes and socks on the radiator!

I'm out and about this afternoon; time for a modest restorative shortly...

No comments :